In this post we’ll clear up some confusion about what PLR content is and isn’t, how it can help you build a website or blog, the benefits and disadvantages, and so much more. If you’re starting a new site or just struggling to get content created for an existing one, PLR can truly help.
What Is PLR Content Anyway?
PLR stands for private label rights. In other product circles it might be considered white labeling. Purchasing the rights to use something that’s already been created and can be used as is, but to have the option to dress it up as your very own and package it in a way that makes sense for your audience or customer. In the case of content, that means you can edit it, put your name on it as the author, add images, bundle it with other content, elaborate on it to make new content, etcetera…
In short, it’s content that you didn’t have to write, but it’s yours to use.
Most PLR packages will come with easy to understand terms and rights. Make sure to double check the rights for the package you purchased before you use it.
Most things are okay to edit and use as you’d like for your blog, email list, ebooks, presentations, videos, and so on. Restrictions are usually things like you’re not allowed to resell the PLR rights. You’re also generally not allowed to use the content as-is for publishing Kindle books, because that would go against Amazon’s terms of service and using it there would just be bad for everyone.
PLR is NOT Ghostwritten Content
I think this is where some of the confusion happens with private label rights content. When you hire a freelance writer to create content, you’re getting content that’s been written just for you.
PLR is different from ghostwritten content, because it’s not created exclusively for you.
The content packages are sold to many people. Some PLR sellers limit the number of packages sold, but there are always multiple copies of the same content being sold to other buyers as well.
What Are the Benefits of Using PLR? Are There Any Disadvantages to This Content?
PLR is affordable. The first benefit is the cost, whether that’s time cost or actual money cost. If you were to hire a writer, you would pay a far higher rate for a single article than you would for several articles with private label rights. If you wrote the content yourself, you would spend a significant amount of time researching, writing, and editing it.
I know that you value your time and you value your dollars. You want to get things started and you want to make profits in your business. PLR is an affordable solution to your content creation problems that saves you a huge amount of time.
Other people get the same content. Some people consider this the disadvantage of buying PLR. I don’t see it that way. Most people are worried about duplicate content penalties from Google, but there’s a lot of confusion about what duplicate content actually is. Using an article that you purchased the rights to is not going to get you penalized by Google or any other search engine. I’ve seen entire website built entirely of PLR, with very little (if any) customization made, and they bring in traffic from search just like any other site.
Additional reading if you’re really worried about duplicate content or want to learn more about it:
- Duplicate Content Definition – Directly from Google in Webmaster Tools aka Search Console
- Google Clarifies What Duplicate Content Means – SearchEngineJournal
- 3 Myths About Duplicate Content – Kissmetrics
- The Myth of the Duplicate Content Penalty – SearchEngineLand
- The Impact Of Duplicate Content On SEO And Rankings – Late Night Internet Marketing
PLR Content Can Help You Build Niche Websites & Grow Email Lists
If you’re reading this post, I suspect that what you really want to know is how to use PLR products to make money. I’m glad you brought it up, because it’s one of my favorite things to talk about. I’ll try not to get carried away here, I’ll just give you some overview and a few ideas.
Use PLR to Create Lead Magnets and eBooks
You can buy a done-for-you PLR ebook, add a bit of customization (or use it as-is if you want), and offer that as the opt-in incentive to join your mailing list. It’s a great shortcut if you’re just getting started creating your first website and your first mailing list. Heck, it’s a great shortcut even if you’re building your two-hundredth website and mailing list.
If you don’t come across any PLR ebooks in your niche, but you do find some article bundles and packages, just grab those and combine the articles together to create your report.
Or you can set them up to drip with your auto-responder and call it an e-course, or a tip series, or however you want to word things so that they make the most sense for your audience.
You can absolutely create ebooks, courses, and products to sell. Imagine having an informative ebook, tutorial, or learning program ready to sell to your readers and your list today, without having to write any of it yourself. That’s completely possible with PLR.
Fill Your Auto-Responder Follow Up Series With Useful Content
You don’t have to use the content on your site, especially if you’re worried about multiple people having the same content as you.
PLR makes excellent introduction level content for your list.
Use the articles to fill your auto-responder series with useful content that your readers will appreciate and can use. Add a call to action to the end of every message, the thing they should do next after they read it, whether that be a product referral, to buy services, or to sign up for a bigger more in-depth course or program that you’re offering.
Use it as Starter Content When You’re Stuck in a Writing Rut
We all have those days where we just can’t seem to get in the writing groove.
Don’t stare at a blank page!
Grab some PLR and edit it instead of starting from scratch.
It’s so much easier to get going on a topic when there’s already something on the page.
Add your personality and tone of voice to the content, expand on a few points with your own ideas, add some Pinterest-worthy images, and you’ll have an epic blog post ready to publish before you know it, maybe even a few.
Where to Buy High Quality PLR Products and Article Packages
Of course I have some PLR packages here at NicheTwitch for you 😉 but I know that one source is never enough when it comes to content, so these are reputable PLR providers that I know and trust to provide you with quality content.
- List Magnets: done-for-you lead magnets that you can use as opt-in offers to grow your email list, packages include reports and checklists
- Content Shortcuts: articles and reports on topics including health, wellness, business tips, and more
- All Private Label Content: a large collection of PLR articles, reports, email series, blog posts, and more
- Kitchen Bloggers: beautiful recipe PLR with photos, packages on related topics like herb gardening, plus resources designed specifically for food bloggers
- Piggy Makes Bank: articles, reports, and ready to go challenges are available, plus several monthly subscription options so you never run out of content
- Monthly Content Helpers: a variety of topics for lifestyle and home bloggers
- White Label Perks: beautifully designed lead magnets and content boosters with images to connect with your audience, plus they have coloring packages available
- Health and Wellness PLR: an ever-growing selection of health and wellness focused content packages
- Easy PLR: articles and short reports on a variety of topics like home, business, and lifestyle
- Coach Glue: not just for coaches, these big beautiful planners, presentations, ebooks, and more are ready to make you more money in your business
- Brandable Tech: how-tos and step-by-step tutorials with videos and presentations done for you and ready to get your audience comfortable with the digital world
- Publish for Prosperity: done-for-you journals, self-improvement reports, planners, and so much more
Still not sure if PLR is right for you? Try some FREE PLR articles and product samples to get started:
Self-Help PLR Package from All Private Label Content: [Click here to get it FREE] – includes 5 articles and a report
- 5 Ways To Find Freedom In Imperfection
- 6 Ways To Keep The Critic Inside You At Bay
- Are You “That” Friend? Learn To Accept Imperfection In Others
- Bask In Your Imperfections And Live Freely
- The Downside Of Perfection – The Opposite Of Loving Yourself
- Short Report: “Enjoying Imperfection: Why Being Imperfect Makes Perfect Sense”
Self-help is a broad niche and there’s plenty of room for you to join in and make the world a more positive place. You can use these to create an opt-in offer, an email series, combine them together to make an even bigger report, or do a series of blog posts. You could even use them as scripts to do a video series or mini podcast series. There are lots of options for using PLR to create great content for your audience.
Finance PLR Articles from All Private Label Content [Click here to get it FREE] – includes 5 articles
- How to Create a Family Budget
- Credit Repair Tips
- Debt Management Help
- Frugal Family Outings
- Every Little Bit of Savings Adds Up
Finances are definitely a big and profitable niche, and often finance can be a subniche for sites that are broadly about home and family life. These would make an excellent email follow up series!
Personal Finance Articles from PiggyMakesBank [Click here to get it FREE] – includes 5 articles
- Why You Need To Keep A Household Budget
- Put Your Savings On Autopilot
- How To Plan For Unexpected Expenses
- Do You Have A Financial Safety Net
- Keep Your Grocery Spending Under Control
Pro Tip: Combine these with the finance package from APLC above and you’ve got 10 pieces of content to get you started providing finance tips to your readers! That can be 10 emails in your follow up sequence, or 10 articles on your blog, or combined together for an awesome report, all monetized with offers, all done and ready to go out there and work hard to bring you traffic and income.
Free Disaster Preparedness Articles + Checklist from PiggyMakesBank [Click here to get it FREE] – includes 5 articles plus a handy checklist that would make a great opt-in offer to get people on your list (then use the articles as your follow up email sequence and boom, that’s handled.)
- Do You Know What Disasters You Should Be Prepared For?
- Make An Emergency Preparedness Plan For Your Family
- Survival Food Storage Will Come In Handy During A Disaster
- What Emergency Supplies Do You Need In Your Disaster Kit?
- Five Must Have Supplies That Should Be Part Of Your Disaster Preparedness
- Emergency preparedness checklist
The survivalist niche is huge and it seems like it’s growing every single day. This is just a tiny corner of that world. Everyone should have at least some plans and provisions in place for whatever nature might bring their way.
FREE “Taste Test” Package from KitchenBloggers PLR [Click here to get it FREE] – includes 3 Recipes with 12 Photos
- One-Skillet Lemon-Rosemary Chicken and Broccoli
- Hearty Minestrone with Fresh Arugula
- Carrot Cake Smoothie with Coconut Whipped Cream
- 12 beautiful food photos
This is a great way to try out the content available from KitchenBloggers and see if it’s a good fit for your blog. Don’t forget recipes and food PLR can be used for more than just blog posts. Many home and family newsletters have a featured recipe section. We all have to eat to live, so food fits into lots of subniches.
40 Facebook Marketing Tips + Social Media Graphics from List Magnets [Click here to get it FREE] – includes 40 tips and 10 images
- 10 Tips for Marketing Your Business Through Your Facebook Profile
- 10 Tips for Marketing Your Business with Facebook Advertising
- 10 Tips for Marketing Your Business with Facebook Groups
- 10 Tips for Marketing Your Business with Facebook Pages
These tip packs from List Magnets are great for creating social media posts, email series, or you can use each tip as the start of a blog post and then add more detail to it. There are just so many options. Keep an eye out, they add new free PLR packages to the site every now and then.
Focus for Productivity Report from Publish for Prosperity [Click here to get it FREE] – includes report, 8 images, ecovers
- Why focus is important
- Tips to improve focus
- Strategies to improve focus
- Exercises to improve focus
- How to deal with focus issues
- How to get started and more
Use the content for opt-ins, publish it to your blog, social media and more. Or sell the content as part of an information product, add links to affiliate products or promote your own products.
If you grab content from any of the PLR sites above, you’re in good hands and you’re off to a good start for whatever project you want to tackle.
If you have any questions about using private label rights content that I didn’t cover here, please drop a comment below. I’m always happy to talk about PLR, what it is, and how you can use it in your online business.
Transcriptionist, passionate cross stitcher, writer at heart, wife, mom, and finder of lost shoes… Loretta Oliver, married to the comic book geek of her dreams and mother of four amazing young men, has been working from home full time since 2001. With a busy transcription service business, a few niche sites, and a handful of other internet marketing projects on the go, the computer is always fired up and the ideas are always flowing.